SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Hume mayor laments arbitration costs

Hume mayor laments arbitration costs

Hume mayor Carly Moore says she would like to see councillor complaints dealt with internally to avoid exorbitant legal fees, which have now cost more than $142,000, council documents revealed.

Speaking to ABC Melbourne on Tuesday, June 21, Cr Moore said she would prefer if costs of arbitration processes dealing with council in-fighting were not “formalised in initial stages”.

“I’m an accountant, so I always think about the numbers, and $142,000 is really the equivalent of 70 households’ rates for an entire year,” Cr Moore said.

She urged councillors to engage with each other in-person, because it was about “understanding differences and respecting those differences”.

“It’s okay to have a difference of opinion. There’s 11 councillors, we’re not going to agree all of the time,” Cr Moore said.

“But we do need to work together to achieve great outcomes for our community, and that’s certainly my focus and the focus of most of the councillors on our council.”

The discussion followed the release of previously confidential details and costs of councillor complaints against each other, revealed during a June 14 council meeting.

Documents show council has spent $142,898 on complaints, including at least $48,583 on 21 internal arbitration matters brought by Cr Trevor Dance – one so far has found a breach of the councillor code of conduct.

The most costly arbitration case was brought by a group of councillors represented by Cr Moore against Cr Dance, totalling $16,987 – in this case Cr Dance had eight breaches found against him.

Cr Moore told ABC once councillors raise a complaint, the organisation was “obligated to follow proper process that it mandated through the Local Government Act”.

Responding to Cr Moore’s interview on ABC Melbourne, Cr Dance told Star Weekly the internal process was “flawed”, and said the act was the “only avenue” available for complaints about conduct.

He said some complaints came from residents, which he felt compelled to follow-up formally.

Sunbury Residents Association president Graham Williams said while the organisation supports the view that all elected officials adhere to the highest conduct, the cost was unfortunate and potentially avoidable.

“Having to resort to resolutions that involve external, paid, and expensive arbitration services is in our view an unnecessary and avoidable drain on council’s funds – effectively the money that we the residents expect to see invested back into our community,” Mr Williams said.

“The money paid out as reported is only a part of the total cost – the loss of staff hours and productivity is also a significant cost.

“It is a considerable disappointment that this has occurred in the first case and is still ongoing through various other arbitration processes.”

Cr Moore reiterated to Star Weekly she felt disappointed the council hasn’t been able to “utilise informal mechanisms through the councillor code of conduct to resolve issues that would significantly reduce costs”.

Digital Editions


  • Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times have been released for October to December 2025, with response times improving in the Macedon Ranges. According to Ambulance Victoria, paramedics responded…

More News

  • Finals race tightens

    Finals race tightens

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 466957 The race for top four spots will go down to the final two rounds in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association McIntyre Cup.…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Grant to make Thunder grow

    Grant to make Thunder grow

    New East Sunbury female football ambassador Emma Grant wants to ensure the female footballers get the same opportunities as male counterparts. The former AFLW player and now Richmond AFLW assistant…