SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Stolen Generations reparations a meaningful message

Stolen Generations reparations a meaningful message

The state government’s Stolen Generations reparations package has been called “a step in the right direction” by Sunbury’s leading First Nations organisation.

Sunbury Aboriginal Corporation chair and Kamilaroi man Peter Webster said there were a number of Stolen Generations in Sunbury and surrounds, and this announcement would help them reconnect with their culture and their people.

“People lost language, they lost belongings, they lost the connection to land when they were removed,” Mr Webster said.

“It’s not a compensation package, it’s a healing package to help those people heal and reconnect, and hopefully find what they’ve missed in their life.”

Designed by the Stolen Generations Reparations Steering Committee, the package will include $100,000 reparations to those who are eligible, a personal government apology, access to programs for healing and connection to Country, and the chance to share their story.

The state government acknowledged that reparations would never make up for what happened to those who were stolen from their families and removed from their land.

“This package is designed to go some way towards addressing the actions of past governments that resulted in ongoing suffering for Stolen Generations members and communities,” the government said.

Mr Webster, a member of the Stolen Generations from New South Wales, said he’s watched attitudes change over the years.

“It’s fantastic to see a government in Australia is looking at First Nations people, the longest surviving culture in the world,” Mr Webster said.

He said he hopes for more understanding from all Australians about First Nations people and the history of colonisation.

“You have a look at other parts of the world where similar sorts of things have happened, and they accept that,” Mr Webster said.

“But for some reason, here in Australia, no one wants to go and say, ‘Well you know what? What happened was really bad and should never have happened’.

“It’s part of our history and acknowledging history – it’s not about blaming anyone, it’s not saying that one person’s more responsible for what happened than another person – it’s acknowledging that history.

“Because without acknowledging it, how do you move forward and rebuild from that?”

Applications for the package open on Thursday, March 31, and will be assessed by June with payments beginning later this year.

The package is open to those removed by a government or non-government agency in Victoria prior to December 31, 1976.

Digital Editions


  • No finals for eXtreme

    No finals for eXtreme

    Melbourne eXtreme was unable to win the big moments as it missed out on finals in the Bowls Premier League 23 competition last week. Teams…

More News

  • Crack down on dodgy drivers

    Crack down on dodgy drivers

    New reforms are being introduced to protect Victorian taxi or ride-share passengers from being ripped off. The reforms, which come into effect on Sunday 1 March, will make it easier…

  • Festival’s landmark event

    Festival’s landmark event

    Ballan’s favourite community festival is set to return for its 50th annual event on Sunday 15 March, celebrating local culture, creativity, and community. The Ballan Autumn Festival is one of…

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…