SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » COVID numbers give hope

COVID numbers give hope

Sunbury and the Macedon Ranges remained free of COVID-19 cases on Monday, as hopes grew that Victoria’s lockdown would be lifted at midnight Tuesday.

Victoria recorded 10 locally acquired cases on Tuesday. The health department said all 10 cases were linked to current outbreaks and, for the third day in a row, all were in quarantine throughout their infectious period.

The health department has identified one exposure site in Sunbury.

Sunbury Square Medical Centre was named as a tier two exposure site last Wednesday before being upgraded to a tier one site last Thursday.

A positive case attended the medical centre, located within the Priceline at Sunbury Square, between 6pm and 8.30pm on Monday, July 19.

Anyone who visited the medical centre during these times must get tested immediately and quarantine for 14 days.

The medical centre was closed for deep cleaning late last week.

No new cases linked to the City of Hume outbreak have been recorded since Friday, according to the health department. There were 17 cases linked to the City of Hume as of Monday.

On Sunday, Premier Daniel Andrews said it was too early to tell whether lockdown would end tonight but said the state was “well placed”.

“On the data we have now, on the trend we have now, the strategy is working,” he said.

Mr Andrews said he expected that restrictions would be eased in metropolitan Melbourne and regional Victoria at the same time.

He said authorities were waiting on test results from two outbreaks – the LaCrosse apartment building in Docklands and Prahan Market, as well as the outcome of day 13 tests from people in quarantine.

“… We’ve got to wait for the results to the tests, keep following the rules, keep doing the right thing and hopefully we can make positive announcements for midnight Tuesday.”

Authorities are also hoping that an anti-lockdown protest held in Melbourne’s CBD on Saturday doesn’t lead to surge in cases.

Mr Andrews said he couldn’t rule out extending the lockdown if there were cases because of the rally.

“It puts all the work everyone’s done at risk,” he said.

While COVID-19 commander Jeroen Weimar said it was unlikely that transmission had occurred at the protest, given the number of cases in the state, he labelled the protest as “a few people who had self-indulgent tantrum”.

“I wish it hadn’t happened,” he said.

Digital Editions


  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s…

More News

  • Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times have been released for October to December 2025, with response times improving in the Macedon Ranges. According to Ambulance Victoria, paramedics responded to 738 code one call…

  • Calling all artists

    Calling all artists

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Applications for the Hume Gallery annual exhibition are now open, offering emerging artists the chance to display their work. The program aims to…

  • Join the gardening crew

    Join the gardening crew

    Macedon & Mount Macedon Community House’s (MMMCH) gardens are being kept in tip-top shape by its volunteer gardening crew. Over the past 12 months, volunteers have developed a variety of…

  • New Landcare group for Kerrie

    New Landcare group for Kerrie

    A new Landcare group may soon be formed for the Kerrie area. The Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network, with support from Macedon Ranges council, has organised a community meeting at…

  • Sunbury to be tested

    Sunbury to be tested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 523161 Sunbury has another challenge ahead of itself with the bat in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association Steve McNamara Shield. The Roar, which is…

  • Finals race tightens

    Finals race tightens

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 466957 The race for top four spots will go down to the final two rounds in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association McIntyre Cup.…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…