SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Tip ‘mountain’ on the move

Tip ‘mountain’ on the move

Rubbish from the Bulla Tip will start to be removed within the next six months, according to the company responsible for the site.

Australian Recycling Corporation (ARC) took over the license of the Bulla Tip & Quarry (BTQ) site in 2018 and has since been working with the Environmental Protection Authority (EPA) to have the landfill relocated to a cell dug on site.

In May, ARC received approval from the EPA to line the cell in order to prepare it to receive the waste.

ARC director Leo Radiotis said his team has had to manage the stockpile but is now confident the waste will be moved out of sight.

“We were advised there would be some hotspots, but we uncovered flames [on the stockpile] that were one or two metre flames across a massive area,” Mr Radiotis said.

“You don’t run up to it like a burning building, you have to take out the material, spread it, smother it, and douse it with water.

“A big misconception is that this big pile is going to stay there, but that won’t happen. Whatever’s in the stockpile will go into the cell.

Mr Radiotis said that prior to ARC’s takeover, the site had been mismanaged and waste had been stockpiled incorrectly.

The Bulla Tip has been an ongoing concern for residents and surrounding property owners, including Melbourne Airport.

In March, Star Weekly reported that a submission to have the tip increase its capping contour by two metres received more than 30 objections.

At the time, Cr Jodi Jackson said the height “is of serious concern to most residents” and voted against the motion, which was ultimately carried.

Mr Radiotis said the increase to the capping contours was to allow his company to manage the stockpile.

“The height increase is absolutely negligible,” he said.

“Piles have to be contoured correctly, we’re not actually adding any material, just recontouring as part of our rehabilitation plan.”

Once complete, ARC will fill the cell with the stockpiled waste and then begin rehabilitation on the site.

Digital Editions


  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a…

More News

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    RDFL Diggers Rest has announced another signing for the Riddell District Football League season. Dylan Stone joins the Burras from the Wangaratta Rovers. He has Victorian Football League experience and…

  • Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533137 Bolinda Primary School students have been testing out their green thumbs in the school’s garden. Last year the school received a grant through…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…

  • Bombers bounce back

    Bombers bounce back

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 437915 Riddell has bounced back and returned to the winners list in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Jensen Shield. After losing their first…

  • Wedgies given green light

    Wedgies given green light

    The Kyneton Women’s Football Club will take to the field in 2026, under the banner of the Wedge-Tailed Eagles. The Wedgies released a statement on Tuesday 17 February saying it…