SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Bulla asbestos plan ‘premature’

Bulla asbestos plan ‘premature’

A proposal to truck 15,000 cubic metres of hazardous waste across Melbourne to Bulla for disposal is the “worst scenario”, according to the Asbestos Council of Victoria.

Sunbury residents raised concerns earlier this month about a proposal to dump material at the Bulla tip, run by Hi-Quality Group, from the former Morwell power station.

An application by the former station’s liquidators, Energy Brix Australia Corporation, to bury asbestos on its own land was rejected by Latrobe council in May because the site was 135 metres from offices and 600 metres from houses.

Energy Brix remediation general manager Barry Dungey told

Star Weekly that Bulla was only one of the sites being considered.

But Hi-Quality Group divisional manager Lance Ingrams said that the organisation was not in talks with anyone about accepting waste from the old power station.

“We have not received any approaches from the Victorian government or from Energy Brix, to accept waste material from the old Morwell power station, whether asbestos waste or any other waste,” Mr Ingrams said.

“If any request is made, then we will consider it,” he said.

The Hi-Quality Group operation, which is licensed to accept asbestos, is separate to the now closed BTQ operated landfill site – both on Sunbury Road.

The facility is licensed to accept asbestos waste, complying with relevant guidelines and legislation. It accepted waste during the Black Saturday bushfires.

Asbestos Council of Victoria chief executive Vicki Hamilton is opposed to the proposal to truck asbestos across the state, saying it was the “worst scenario”.

“I just can’t get my head around thinking that’s a better option than keeping it on site,” Ms Hamilton said.

Hume mayor Geoff Porter said the discussions were premature and made “no sense”.

“These issues need to be resolved, and the appropriate permits for handling, transporting and disposing of asbestos must be met,” Cr Porter said.

“As such, any conjecture that the
Latrobe Valley’s demolition waste is coming
to a privately owned Bulla facility is
premature.”

Digital Editions


  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s…

More News

  • Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times closer to targets

    Ambulance response times have been released for October to December 2025, with response times improving in the Macedon Ranges. According to Ambulance Victoria, paramedics responded to 738 code one call…

  • Calling all artists

    Calling all artists

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Applications for the Hume Gallery annual exhibition are now open, offering emerging artists the chance to display their work. The program aims to…

  • Join the gardening crew

    Join the gardening crew

    Macedon & Mount Macedon Community House’s (MMMCH) gardens are being kept in tip-top shape by its volunteer gardening crew. Over the past 12 months, volunteers have developed a variety of…

  • New Landcare group for Kerrie

    New Landcare group for Kerrie

    A new Landcare group may soon be formed for the Kerrie area. The Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network, with support from Macedon Ranges council, has organised a community meeting at…

  • Sunbury to be tested

    Sunbury to be tested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 523161 Sunbury has another challenge ahead of itself with the bat in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association Steve McNamara Shield. The Roar, which is…

  • Finals race tightens

    Finals race tightens

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 466957 The race for top four spots will go down to the final two rounds in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association McIntyre Cup.…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…