SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Romsey and Lancefield parents call for high school

Romsey and Lancefield parents call for high school

Parents in the Romsey and Lancefield areas are ramping up their calls for a secondary school.

The push for a local secondary school has escalated after funds were allocated in the 2018-19 state budget for consultation on extending Romsey Primary School to cater for years 7 to 9.

Lancefield father Jason Norris said he was planning a petition to take to the state government, urgently requesting that it build a secondary school.

He said consultation plans were not sufficient.

“There was a petition for a school … 20 years ago when I moved here,” Mr Norris said. “Now the area is growing rapidly.”

Mr Norris said children living in Lancefield and Romsey should not be forced to travel half an hour on buses to secondary
schools.

Presently, children who attend Romsey, Lancefield, Bolinda and Hesket primary schools have to travel to Kyneton, Gisborne or Sunbury to go to state secondary schools.

A Romsey mother told Star Weekly that residents “absolutely need a school in the area”, particularly because of transport demands.

She said her daughter, in her final year at Sunbury Downs College, often had trouble securing a ride to school.

Her daughter catches a bus organised by private school Salesian College, but there’s not always room on the bus.

The mum, who does not want her name used, wants her son to start at Sunbury Downs College next year. But she said she has been told he was behind 18 other students on a waiting list.

Macedon MP Mary-Anne Thomas said she had spent a lot of time talking to Romsey families about the issue.

“I know parents are concerned that their children have to leave town to go to high school,” she said.

Ms Thomas said that was why funding had been allocated in the state budget for the education department “to work closely with the school community to understand the aspirations of Romsey parents and determine a timeline for the school to transition to year 9”.

“This is a big step and we need to get it right because the one thing we don’t want to compromise on is a first-class education for Romsey kids,” she said.

Digital Editions


More News

  • Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Eskimo Joe to headline west festival

    Australia’s beloved alt-rock power trio Eskimo Joe are sure to have audiences up on their feet when they headline the Lincoln Park Twilight Festival. Held on Saturday 28 February at…

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…