SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Macedon Ranges burning off restrictions lifted

Macedon Ranges burning off restrictions lifted

Restrictions for burning off on smaller properties in the Macedon Ranges have been lifted until June 12.

Residents living on land of less than one acre in size do not need a permit from the council to burn off during this period, as they normally would.

Council director assets and operations Dale Thornton said the requirement had been lifted temporarily to encourage locals to clear their properties of green waste.

He said the council had received a large number of requests for permits since fire restrictions were lifted on May 1, following recent storms that caused fallen trees and branches.

“Lifting the restrictions will allow landowners to clean up their property now that the fire danger period is over,” he said.

Mr Thornton has asked residents to closely supervise burn-offs and to monitor the site for at least seven days after the fire to ensure it is fully extinguished.

The council has also asked those burning off to monitor weather conditions and to register burn-offs by calling 1800 668 511.

Details: mrsc.vic.gov.au/fire-ready

Digital Editions


  • Top for Sunbury

    Top for Sunbury

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 515749 Club Sunbury has given itself the best chance come Bowls Victoria weekend pennant, division 1, section 1 finals.…

More News

  • New Landcare group for Kerrie

    New Landcare group for Kerrie

    A new Landcare group may soon be formed for the Kerrie area. The Upper Deep Creek Landcare Network, with support from Macedon Ranges council, has organised a community meeting at…

  • Sunbury to be tested

    Sunbury to be tested

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 523161 Sunbury has another challenge ahead of itself with the bat in the Victorian Turf Cricket Association Steve McNamara Shield. The Roar, which is…

  • Finals race tightens

    Finals race tightens

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 466957 The race for top four spots will go down to the final two rounds in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association McIntyre Cup.…

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…