SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » Sport » Youth and versatility the keys behind new-look Kyneton

Youth and versatility the keys behind new-look Kyneton

Kyneton will be less predictable in the Bendigo Football League this year.

The loss of forwards Ben Weightman and Mitchell Scholard at the end of last season, has forced the Tigers to change their structure.

Weightman kicked 73 goals last season and Scholard 55, to place them both in the top four goalkickers in the competition.

Tigers’ coach Luke Beattie said those two departures would mean the team is more versatile up forward and he was hopeful it would reap benefits.

“With a turnover of personnel we will look a bit different,” he said.

“We’ve finished fifth the last three seasons and this year we have the potential to be more creative with the footy.

“Instead of having key targets like Ben and Mitch, we’ll be more versatile.”

While the Tigers have also lost a number of other players, they’ve looked to add guys across the ground.

Jayden Exell will provide some experience in the back half, while Gareth Bowes will help the likes of Rhys Magin and the McGovan brothers in the midfield.

Jake Ward and Jack Exell will provide points of difference up forward.

Beattie said one of the most pleasing things this off season was the number of under-19 players coming through that could play key roles.

Among them are Caleb Fisher and Leyton Chisholm, who are both part of the Bendigo Pioneers TAC Cup squad.

“The kids are coming through, which we haven’t had in recent years,” Beattie said.

“We’ve had one or two at a time. This year we’ve got a great bunch coming through.”

As well as having two players in the Pioneers squad, the Tigers have four VFL-listed players.

Max O’Sullivan is at Richmond, Tom O’Sullivan is at Port Melbourne, while Jordan Mangan and Patrick McCarthy are both with North Melbourne.

While Beattie would love to have all four at his disposal every week, he’s thrilled they’ve got opportunities at higher levels.

The Tigers kick-off their season on April 14 at home against South Bendigo.

Beattie said it had been easier to get the team together in recent weeks and they had had “a remarkably structured and hard pre-season”.

He said fitness should not be an issue but admits it will take time to get going.

“We’re a work in progress.

“Playing consistent football might take a couple of weeks. Once we work through it, we’ll play some good football.”

 

Tara Murray

Digital Editions


  • Calling all artists

    Calling all artists

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 336543 Applications for the Hume Gallery annual exhibition are now open, offering emerging artists the chance to display their…

More News

  • Additional health test for newborns

    Additional health test for newborns

    Victoria has become the first Australian jurisdiction to include sickle cell disease in its universal newborn health screening program. This expansion brings the total number of rare but serious conditions…

  • Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents encouraged to mind water usage

    Residents across Melbourne’s north and west are being called upon to reduce their water consumption as state storage levels fall to 61% of capacity. This current level marks a decrease…

  • Fruity festival returns

    Fruity festival returns

    If you have a green thumb, are an aspiring gardener– or just really love fruit trees– then there’s an event for you. The much-loved Summer Fruit Tree Festival will burst…

  • Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    Finalists announced for AFL community venue award

    The 2025 finalists have been announced for the AFL’s Ken Gannon Football Facilities Award, recognising the projects that set the benchmark in best-practice design and development to help the continued…

  • New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    New toolkit to help women report abuse in sport

    Australian women face significant risk when disclosing gender-based violence in sport and quite often receive inadequate or harmful responses according to new research from La Trobe Univeristy. The research project,…

  • Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrity alcohol ads slip into teens’ Insta feeds

    Celebrities are promoting their own alcohol products on Instagram without a clear disclosure of advertising content and almost all posts are visible to underage users, according to new research from…

  • Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Funding to improve road safety across Victoria

    Victorian community organisations and groups will get a total of $600,000 in grants from the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) to develop and implement local road safety projects. The funding, part…

  • Multicultural health committee expanded

    Multicultural health committee expanded

    Victoria’s Multicultural Health Advisory Committee has been expanded in an effort to make the state’s health system more inclusive and increasingly diverse. Health Minister Mary-Anne Thomas unveiled the strengthened and…

  • Grant to make Thunder grow

    Grant to make Thunder grow

    New East Sunbury female football ambassador Emma Grant wants to ensure the female footballers get the same opportunities as male counterparts. The former AFLW player and now Richmond AFLW assistant…

  • Renewable energy soars

    Renewable energy soars

    Energy and Resources Minister Lily D’Ambrosio has announced that Victoria has exceeded its 2025 renewable energy target. Ms D’Ambrosio said renewables accounted for 44.6 per cent of the state’s electricity…