SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Protecting the Macedon Ranges character

Protecting the Macedon Ranges character

Macedon Ranges council is determined to protect the shire’s character “from inappropriate development”.

The council is calling on the state government to come up with a new set of planning guidelines specifically for non-metropolitan areas.

At a meeting last week, Cr Helen Radnedge said the specific guidelines were necessary “to protect the cultural heritage and built form character” of areas such as the Macedon Ranges.

The council will ask Planning Minister Richard Wynne to look at its request for changes and to grant an interim two-storey height limit for new buildings approved in the shire in the next two years.

Under changes to the Victoria Planning Provisions introduced in March, residential buildings in general residential zones can be up to three-storeys and 11 metres high. Previously they were restricted to two-storeys and nine metres.

Cr Radnedge said the changes were “resulting in homogenous housing types better suited to metropolitan growth areas” and failed “to account for rural styles, character and circumstances”.

Mayor Jennifer Anderson agreed the new state planning guidelines did not take into account the differences between the Macedon Ranges and Melbourne.

“They don’t get that we’re different to Melbourne,” Cr Anderson said. “Rural living is different to metro.

“We are going to VCAT [Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal] more and more often with our community and councillors having a different interpretation of neighbourhood character.”

The council last month rejected for a second time plans for what would have been the first apartment building in Gisborne.

The council denied the permit, against the recommendation of council officers. The applicant had taken the case to VCAT and been referred back to the council.

At the time, Cr Radnedge said apartments were “out of character for the whole region”.

The council’s move to request a new set of planning controls for rural areas was widely supported.

But Cr Henry Bleeck spoke against the motion, saying the community needed to keep moving forward.

“Diversity is what we need – it actually makes the shire,” he said.

“It’s important we go down that track rather than stopping everything.”

The motion was passed 7-2.

Digital Editions


More News

  • The sport of kings in Werribee

    The sport of kings in Werribee

    What many call the sport of kings will be on full display at Werribee Park as the historic Urquhart Cup polo tournament gallops into town on Sunday 1 March. More…

  • Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Jets’ excited for new challenge

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 467506 A couple of late signings have boosted the Sunbury Jets hopes as they head into the Big V men’s championship season. The Jets…

  • More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    More cameras coming to Victoria’s roads

    The state government will roll out 35 new fixed cameras, two point-to-point networks and tougher distracted-driving and seatbelt enforcement as part of its Road Safety Action Plan. The state government…

  • New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    New treatment options for anaphylaxis

    Two new emergency treatment options will become available in Victorian schools to support students at risk of anaphylaxis. Education Minister Ben Carroll announced the two new services will soon become…

  • Newham residents call for action

    Newham residents call for action

    After a fatal accident on Three Chain Road, Newham residents are calling for urgent action to slow traffic down. About 7.20pm on 3 February, a car and truck collided at…

  • Community Calendar

    Community Calendar

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534644 Montage, Cut and Paste at Kyneton Library During this free event Diane Garrett, an experienced teacher and montage producer, will show how simple…

  • Fifty years of SunFest

    Fifty years of SunFest

    SunFest is celebrating 50 years this March. The beloved festival will take over Sunbury’s streets once again, for a special weekend full of fun, community and Sunbury pride. SunFest started…

  • Residents rally

    Residents rally

    Almost 100 Sunbury residents and members of the No Waste Incinerator Sunbury group descended on Spring Street on Wednesday 18 February to protest a proposed waste-to-energy (WtE) facility mooted for…

  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a collision between a car and…

  • Riddell’s next generation

    Riddell’s next generation

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 502756 It’ll be the baby Bombers for Riddell in the Riddell District Netball League this season. After three straight grand finals, the Bombers have…