SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Malmsbury: Staff living in fear of inmates

Malmsbury: Staff living in fear of inmates

By Benjamin Preiss/The Age

Youth detention centre staff are refusing to report assaults against them to police because they fear revenge attacks from inmates, Victoria’s police union says.

The Victorian Police Association told a parliamentary inquiry into youth justice that centre workers believed they would be threatened by inmates if serious assaults were investigated.

Association secretary Wayne Gatt said there were “many cases” in which police received complaints from centre staff who were unwilling to have matters investigated.

“It perpetuates a level of inactivity by staff …to actually make a report to the police because they don’t think the system is going to protect them,” he told the inquiry.

Victoria’s troubled youth justice system has been plagued by unrest and riots, including an outbreak from the Malmsbury detention centre before several inmates embarked on a crime spree across Victoria earlier this year.

Sergeant Gatt said that staff felt ill-equipped and inadequately trained to deal with violent offenders.

He also said Victoria needed new high-security centres to separate violent inmates from those who were willing to engage in education and required a less intensive security environment.

Early this year the state government announced it would build a new high-security youth detention facility in Melbourne’s west.

The inquiry heard police were being called up to six times a day to the Parkville and Malmsbury detention centres.

Sergeant Gatt said the constant call-outs to youth detention centres was having a “profound” impact on police resources.

A spokeswoman for the Justice Department said staff safety was a top priority and treated with the “utmost seriousness”.

The spokeswoman said all violent or dangerous behaviour must be reported by staff and referred to police for investigation.

Victoria’s youth justice system has lost almost 100 workers in six years, with staff citing poor treatment by management, the Community and Public Sector Union told the inquiry.

The state government has also suffered repeated legal setbacks in its attempts to keep youth inmates in a juvenile unit of the adult Barwon Prison.

Youth Affairs Minister Jenny Mikakos and senior bureaucrats were unable to tell a budget estimates committee on Tuesday how much the government had spent defending three failed court cases over the teens in Barwon.

Digital Editions


  • Concrete dreams come to life

    Concrete dreams come to life

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534267 It’s been a project a decade in the making, but the revamped Romsey Skatepark is finally complete. The…

More News

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…

  • Bombers bounce back

    Bombers bounce back

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 437915 Riddell has bounced back and returned to the winners list in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Jensen Shield. After losing their first…

  • Wedgies given green light

    Wedgies given green light

    The Kyneton Women’s Football Club will take to the field in 2026, under the banner of the Wedge-Tailed Eagles. The Wedgies released a statement on Tuesday 17 February saying it…

  • Macedon CFA open day

    Macedon CFA open day

    The Macedon CFA is opening its doors for a Community Day and Fundraiser. Visit the station on Saturday 28 February for a day of family fun, food, and special guests…

  • Women’s history centre stage

    Women’s history centre stage

    A special one-off theatrical performance is coming to the Kyneton Town Hall in celebration of International Women’s Day. In 2026, the theme for International Women’s Day is #BalanceTheScales – a…

  • Lions skin checks yield promising results

    Lions skin checks yield promising results

    A skin check bus hosted by Macedon Ranges Lions Clubs has offered insight to the local community about the importance of getting checked. In early February, the Gisborne, Kyneton, Woodend,…

  • Probus celebrates 50 years

    Probus celebrates 50 years

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 534248 The Woodlands Ladies Probus Club is celebrating Probus’ 50th anniversary. Founded in 1976 in Australia, Probus has grown into a network of social…