SUNBURY | MACEDON RANGES
Home » News » Old school not lost

Old school not lost

Macedon Ranges council is keen to keep the soon-to-be vacated Kyneton Primary School in community hands.

Councillors this month agreed to look at setting aside $10,000 in the upcoming 2017-18 draft budget to fund a master plan for the school’s revamp.

Mayor Jennifer Anderson told

Star Weekly the council itself has no plans to tender for the site “at this point”, but wants to ensure the buildings are retained for community use.

She raised concerns about maintenance costs if the council was to acquire it.

“I think the idea of the school site going back to the community is great, but I don’t think we’ve explored other possibilities of the cost,” she said.

“There may be a philanthropic path, where someone can buy the site from the state government and still achieve for us a community outcome, which means it’s not a council ongoing liability.”

A group of artisans and tradespeople has put forward a proposal for a specialist school for rare and forgotten trades within the historic Baynton Street buildings – but it can only go ahead if the state government and the council don’t want the site.

Education department spokesman Alex Munro told

Star Weekly discussions about the site are ongoing with the council.

“We support local councils acquiring former school sites,” Mr Munro said.

Digital Editions


  • Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Malmsbury man charged following crash

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 206998 A 28-year-old Malmsbury man has been charged following a collision in Newham. Police said the charges follow a…

More News

  • Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Beds doubled at Malmsbury youth prison

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 296812 The state government has more than doubled the amount of beds at Malmsbury Youth Justice Centre. Following last year’s announcement of the centre’s…

  • Disappointment for Frigo

    Disappointment for Frigo

    It was disappointment for Melton’s Airleigh Frigo at the Winter Olympics on Wednesday. Making her Olympic debut, Frigo wasn’t able to make it through the qualifying rounds of the women’s…

  • Sports shorts

    Sports shorts

    RDFL Diggers Rest has announced another signing for the Riddell District Football League season. Dylan Stone joins the Burras from the Wangaratta Rovers. He has Victorian Football League experience and…

  • Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Bolinda’s green thumbs

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 533137 Bolinda Primary School students have been testing out their green thumbs in the school’s garden. Last year the school received a grant through…

  • Grass fire in Bullengarook

    Grass fire in Bullengarook

    An out-of-control grassfire is burning at the intersection of Gisborne and Bacchus Marsh roads in Bullengarook, prompting an advice message for residents in Bullengarook, Coimadai, Gisborne and Lerderderg. The alert…

  • Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    Small Businesses Bus heads to Kyneton

    The Small Business Bus is set to arrive in Kyneton for a day of free advice. The service travels across locations in Victoria to provide advice and support for small…

  • Cross funding shortfall

    Cross funding shortfall

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 421226 An extra $150,000 of funding is needed to complete the works at the Mount Macedon Memorial Cross to open it before Anzac Day,…

  • Artrise open date set

    Artrise open date set

    Artrise officially has an opening date set, with the whole Sunbury community invited to celebrate. The new arts hub will officially open with a community day on Saturday 14 March,…

  • Bombers bounce back

    Bombers bounce back

    Purchase this photo from Pic Store: 437915 Riddell has bounced back and returned to the winners list in the Gisborne and District Cricket Association Jensen Shield. After losing their first…

  • Wedgies given green light

    Wedgies given green light

    The Kyneton Women’s Football Club will take to the field in 2026, under the banner of the Wedge-Tailed Eagles. The Wedgies released a statement on Tuesday 17 February saying it…